Thursday, July 06, 2006

Pirates of the Carribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest



Dead Man's Chest
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.
It's highly out of my nature to fork out $10 to watch a summer Hollywood blockbuster by Disney, what more risking the fact that I'll be surrounded by hordes of unwilling parents dragged to the movie by 8-year-olds and teenagers that refuse to shut up. But sigh, what's a little sacrifice to watch good ol' Johnny on the big screen. Oh, and to all you critics out there who think he's selling out because he's going mainstream, Depp's reason for doing this Disney flick is that his lil' daughter Lily oand son Jack will be able to watch it and understand it...aww, bless.

It's 4:33pm July 6, meaning, the movie only opens tomorrow. But I'm contemplating whether I should sacrifice sleep and go watch one of the four (yes, FOUR) sneak screenings at midnight tonight. I'm not big on reading or trusting movie reviews, I like my movies regardless of whether hate it or love it, but I was reading a review of the movie in the New York Times, and it's hillarious. Here are some of my favorite excerpts:

"These sailors [Davy Jones and his ghoulish undead seamen] are like the cast of SpongeBob SquarePants — or the menu at a seafood restaurant —come to life: Night of the Living Bouillabaisse."

"Mr. Bloom, as is his custom, leaps about, trying to overcome his incurable blandness, and is upstaged by special effects, musical cues, octopus tentacles and pieces of wood."

"What is curious about the recent crop of high-tech blockbusters is how seriously they take themselves, and unlike, say, "Superman Returns," "Dead Man's Chest" cannot be called pretentious. It makes no claims to being about good and evil, the difficulty of saving the world in the modern era, or the inner lives of any of its characters."

Okay, I'm a little biased, basically anyone who hates "Superman Returns" is in my good books. But kidding aside, I would watch Depp in absolutely anything, even "Superman Returns."

Dead Man's Chest movie still
"Pirates of the Carribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest" is of course part 2 of a trilogy, all directed by Gore Verbinski. Verbinski is nothing to shout about, he's only done a handful of movies, mediocre ones at that -- the cop-out remake of "The Ring," "The Mexican" (with Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts), "Mousehunt" (gross!) and "The Weather Man" (Nicolas Cage, Michael Caine) which I saw a couple of nights back. I checked out the official Web site for "Dead Man's Chest" and if you swing your mouse from right to left constantly on the page with the volume turned up, you get sea sick...I'm already quesy.

Maybe I'll hate it, maybe I'll love it. But thus far, I think the teaser poster is absolutely adorable, it's the same one that's in this posting (not the one where Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are desperately trying to steal more poster space than Johnny). I love that there's a tiny Jack Sparrow voodoo hanging from the crossbones, complete with the suprised all-the-rum's-gone! look on the face -- absolutely precious! The photo of the poster that I have on top is a little small, so you might be able to see so much detail, but check out the large Dead Man's Chest poster here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home