Thursday, July 09, 2009

Stranger than fiction: Smurfs and Green Hornet


More news on The Smurfs movie. Yup, you read right, someone from Columbia Pictures and Sony Animation actually thought it was a good idea to make a 2D and 3D feature-length movie featuring the topless blue fellas (except Smurfette who stole Minnie Mouse's heels) in strange white beanies. And the lucky guy who will be directing it? Raja Gosnell, who also directed great movies such as Beverly Hills Chihuahua, both Scooby-Doo movies and Big Momma's House - yes, I am being sarcastic. Don't get me wrong though, I used to love Smurfs as a kid, but now that I'm an adult, it seemed a tad weird that it was a community of all men and one woman. Shudder. Can't wait for someone to make My Little Pony. Hello people, Thundercats please!


UPDATE: Latest news as of July 10 is that Stephen Chow is no longer attached to The Green Hornet as Kato. According to Spoiler TV, there's a open casting call for the part:

[KATO] ALL ASIAN ETHNICITIES, Male, 20's - early 40's. Brit Reid's manservant/chauffeur by day and Green Hornet's martial arts-skilled sidekick by night. Actor doesn't have to have Martial Arts experience

If I had to use one word to describe the remake of The Green Hornet, it'll be "huh." Michel Gondry (Be Kind, Rewind, Science of Sleep, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) is directing, Seth Rogen plays the lead and co-writes the screenplay, Stephen Chow Sing Chi plays Kato (yup, Bruce Lee may be rolling over in his grave right about now) and Cameron Diaz will be the female lead. Don't get me wrong, I think Gondry's style is really unique and Eternal Sunshine is one of my all-time favorite films and Seth Rogen is a funny man. But what an odd pairing for cast members and director for a movie like The Green Hornet! It's scheduled for a 2010 release, so I guess I'll just have to wait till more stills and a trailer pop by before I pass judgment.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home