Monday, July 27, 2009

Taking The Road Less Traveled, Part 1

I chanced upon an interesting article which dug up a lot of unresolved internal conflict. The article is written by a woman who's reflecting on her decision to take on Singapore government scholarships to university which bonds her to work for the government for eight years after graduation. Read Once Bonded here: http://s-pores.com/2009/07/once-bonded/

A lot of thoughts are going through my head right now, and I think it deserves a good sit-down think-though before I write it all down. So for now, I leave you with the article and the comment that I left on the site:

***

Intriguing read. It’s strange to be on the other side of the coin — being Malaysian and having graduated from an American university (the best decision of my life) through my parents’ funding and having the absolute “freedom” to pursue a dream job after graduation. Now two years have passed and I recently quit my first real full-time job because it wasn’t as fulfilling as I wanted it to be and idealistically hoping to find a job that I truly love. When I left my job, I was called “idealistic” in the very same tone by one of my bosses who was Singaporean.

Feeling lost and slightly cynical at the moment, going through the what-ifs in my head, especially seeing ex-classmates happy with their careers and married with kids. Thank you for your superbly-articulated piece. It was a refreshing read, giving perspective into what would have happened if I had taken a different path years ago.


***

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home