Sunday, March 04, 2007

New York, New York!

I was planning to post these photos from our trip in New York a while back, but we were really caught up with all the packing and moving back to Malaysia. Speaking of which, I'm hoping and praying that my DVDs arrive home safely -- I'm going to be a total bitch if the Malaysian customs decide to confiscate my Hedwig and Brokeback. It's not like I sent Shortbus back.

Anyway, quick recap of our NYC trip -- we basically did the touristy bit because we were pretty broke and it was our first time in NYC. The good news is, I know where I'm going for my grad school.

* We ate. A lot. See photos below for proof. Bagels in Central Park (NY really does make better bagels. Apparently they boil them before they bake them). Pizzas and kebabs in Times Square and cupcakes in Greenwich Village and Soho (I'm still waiting for my cupcake tree for my birthday. I adore NY's love affair with cupcakes). Dunkin' Donuts sucks. Krispy Kreme rules.
* Note to Peet's -- you need to expand to the East Coast! And Asia. Couldn't find a decent cup of coffee in the city. And, here's the shocker, in New York, when you order your coffee, you actually have to tell them how you want it. They put in the milk and sugar for you. Eeks! How in the world am I supposed to tell someone to put in enough milk until my coffee is a specific shade of khaki? My teaspoon could be much smaller than someone else's teaspoon. Wait for it, that's not even the end of our coffee dilemma. When you buy coffee, the cover is completely sealed and if you detach the seal to drink while you're walking, the seal cuts you. Ouch.
* Central Park was beautiful. What's even better? An apartment in The Plaza overlooking Central Park. Mmmmm...
* Apple Store on 5th Avenue did not disappoint. Zhuang got his green iShuffle. I had to wait till I sold my old iPod before I got my orange iShuffle. Weee...currently listening to Christopher Moore's "I Suck" on my new toy.
* Finally caught Les Miserables. Really wanted to see Wicked, but the $120 ticket was a little out of our budget. Staging was Les Miz was impressive and the actors were really good, even the 7-year-old girl who played Cosette.
* Had the famous frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity. Apparently, this kitschy cafe was where John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale's characters met in the by the same name. Love the menu, food was really good and the frozen hot chocolate was amazing. Prices were very reasonable.
* People in Long Island speak really, really loud. What's louder than Long Islanders? Drunk Long Islanders, as I've learnt on my flight back which had a transit in Las Vegas.



Serendipity
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Frozen Hot Choc at Serendipity
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Pizza in Times Square
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Zhuang molesting the Bull at Wall Street
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Last day in NYC
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Les Miserables
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Imagine, Strawberry Fields
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Hot Dogs in Central Park
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Dunkin' Donuts - that's the before shot
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Cupcakes in Soho
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Bethesda Fountain - for the Angels in America fans
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.




Munching bagels in Central Park
Originally uploaded by audreytmv.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've long ago beefed the idea of wearing heels to work. I'm currently wearing flip flops/jandals (as the locals call them here). It's summer, it's partially hot and since I can't wear short shorts, I chose sandals. I might have been away for far too long, but the islander inside cries to the idea of wearing anything but sandals during summer. Can't fight the power.

Singapore. So, are they all still tossers or wot? Won't believe anything else. :P

1:49 PM  
Blogger Audrey Tang said...

Jandals? I wish. I'm a total beach bummer who would love to be in shorts and sandals all day. Unfortunately, dealing with clients = wearing pants that are too long with flats and having to look taller than I really am. :p At least for the first couple of months.

Haven't really made up my mind about Singaporeans. They seem to be big on parenting. Weird. And Singlish. "Oh, your soup never come yet ah?"

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

singlish is very similar to minglish. i enjoy reverting to grammatarian equation to linguistic murder from time to time. it's brilliant.

i wouldn't mind the heels attached to boots during winter. i'm short, naturally afraid of heights and gravity is a very consistent friend. chances of me falling on my face and screwing up my left ankle again is pretty high. i'm playing the handicap card :P

11:55 AM  
Blogger Captain Karat said...

is minglish in any way similar to manglish?

6:24 AM  
Blogger Audrey Tang said...

Koobz - that's a question that only Sue can answers. But according to the Audrey Dictionary of English 25th ed., Minglish is a mingle of different languages with English. Whereas Manglish is Malaysians mangling English.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home