Saturday, June 13, 2009

Repo! The Genetic Opera: Fishnets, spinals cords and one good song?

I've been meaning to watch Repo! The Genetic Opera for some time, and thanks to Alex (yay pirates!), I finally did tonight!

It's definitely not a movie for everyone, but if you like OTT musicals with good rock music and singers, go watch We Will Rock You on stage. Haha, just kidding. I think the intention for Repo! was good, but somehow along the way, the musical became too ambitious and slightly out of control. I was going to write it off when I found out that Paris Hilton was in it, but I changed my mind after seeing a few scenes from the movie. There are definitely scenes that were over-sung and lyrics that make you groan, but I can't seem to get this one song out of my head - Zydrate Anatomy. Tempted to put it as my iPhone ringtone for the next couple of days. Check out the song below, with stills from the genetic opera.

So should you give this a go? To be safe, I would say no, unless you know what you're getting into. Oh, if you're squeamish, definitely a no (the director Darren Lynn Bousman also did Saw II, III and IV). But give it a go if you have about an hour and half to kill, it's a weird trip. Repo! made me miss my fishnets and there's an actor credited as Ogre in the movie (which I later found out is actually Nivek Ogre who apparently is a vocalist for a band called Skinny Puppy).

"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial, a little glass vial, a little glass vial...Grave robber, grave robber..."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home