Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Life imitating film: Sookie Stackhouse and Bill Compton to wed!

Life imitating film: Sookie Stackhouse and Bill Compton to wed! Ok, maybe that's taking it a tad too far. According to LA Times, Anna Paquin, who plays telepathic waitress Sookie in the HBO's vampire series is engaged to Stephen Moyer, who plays Bill the vampire who opts for blood substitute TruBlood rather than feed on a human. If you ask me, Eric Northman's way cooler than Bill.

On an slightly unrelated note, if you haven't seen True Blood, do check it out. It's not for everyone but the easiest way to know is to check out the opening title sequence. If you're like me, who was sold on the opening title sequence (the first 2 episodes of season 1 was a bit shaky), then you'll probably like True Blood, which airs every Sunday night in the US. I love good opening titles because it sets the mood for the film - my all-time favorite opening sequence is from Yasmin Ahmad's Sepet (strangely, the international version that I saw is slightly different from this one on YouTube), followed by Zack Synder's The Watchmen and Showtime's Dexter.

True Blood's title sequence was created by Digital Kitchen, the same production studio that created the title sequence of Six Feet Under. Set to a track called Bad Things, the sequence gives a feeling of the down, dirty south and what's interesting is apparently the concept is based on juxtaposing religious fanaticism and sex, themes that play out in both seasons of True Blood. I like the way Digital Kitchen explained the concept: "the whore in the house of prayer."

The sequence is grimy and disturbing, and reminds me slightly of Wes Craven's The Last House on the Left (which by the way, is an extremely violent and disturbing film - do not watch it or read about it unless you have the stomach for it). Ok, wait, I take it back - True Blood and its opening sequence is nothing like The Last House on the Left. Personally though, I could have done without the timelapse sequence of the decomposing dog/wolf and the roadkill/dead mole rat in True Blood's opening sequence -- I'm squeamish, and there goes my lunch.

Check out the True Blood opening sequence below and let me know what you think!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home