Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oscars Noms 2012: My picks & predictions!

Counting down to the Oscars but sadly, it'll be Monday morning in Singapore and I doubt my excuse of "I'm watching the Oscars, so I'll be in after lunch" is going to fly. But heck, it's once a year so here are My Picks: Films & talents that I think deserve to win and My Prediction: Films & talents that the old, white fogeys at the Academy will pick to take home the little, naked golden man.
Disclaimer: I haven't seen the following movies that have Oscar nominations (for various reasons), so if you think my picks are way off because I haven't seen them, please holler!

On my to-watch list: Moneyball, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, A Better Life, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Albert Nobbs, A Better Life

Don't think these will make it to my watch list: War Horse (can't do movies with horses in them... but if I'm stuck on a 12-hour flight and have nothing else better to watch, I will), Tree of Life (gave up after two attempts, had enough of frame after frame of people gazing thoughtfully at curtain-less windows in rooms bathed in natural light)

Audrey's Picks
  • BEST PICTURE - HUGO
  • ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE - JEAN DUJARDIN (This one's not entirely fair as I'm a fan of Gary Oldman and Brad Pitt, and I've only seen The Artist and The Descendants)
  • ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE - MERYL STREEP or GLENN CLOSE (Another tough one. Streep's good in almost everything she's in and I haven't seen Albert Nobbs, but from the trailer alone, Glenn Close is amazing in it. I love Michelle Williams' style -- helps that she was Heath's wife and mother of Matilda -- she's decent as an actress and it was a good effort playing Marilyn but I kept seeing Michelle rather than Marilyn. Rooney Mara gets props but honestly, it was more David Fincher than Mara at work.
  • ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER (This was an easy one!)
  • ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - BERENICE BEJO (Here's where I don't get it: why is Bejo considered in the supporting role category instead of lead?)
  • DIRECTING - MARTIN SCORSESE (Hands down. No doubt. The man deserved an Oscar way before The Departed and I hate to say this, but the original Infernal Affairs was a better movie, at least the actors were better.) 

Audrey's Predictions
  • BEST PICTURE - THE ARTIST
  • ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE - GEORGE CLOONEY (My take is the Academy will not give Best Picture and Actor in a Leading Role to the same movie, so it's one way or the other with The Artist and The Descendants)
  • ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE - GLENN CLOSE
  • ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER
  • ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - OCTAVIA SPENCER (Why in the world is Jessica Chastain nominated and Bridesmaids was not funny at all. Everyone keeps describing Bridesmaids as a female version of The Hangover, but seriously, it was more akward and gross, barely got a chuckle from me.)
  • DIRECTING - ALEXANDER PAYNE

Zhuang's Predictions
  • BEST PICTURE - THE ARTIST
  • ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE - JEAN DUJARDIN
  • ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE - MICHELLE WILLIAMS
  • ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER
  • ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - OCTAVIA SPENCER
  • DIRECTING - TERRENCE MALICK
Head over to The 84th Academy Awards web site for more: http://oscar.go.com/nominees

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home