Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Poster: Antichrist


Check out the new poster for Lars Von Trier's Antichrist (click image to enlarge) - straightforward and unapologetic, but if you ask me, probably too text heavy for a lot of moviegoers. Then again, I doubt Antichrist was made for your everyday moviegoers. A picture of a steady stream of people leaving the cinema, and depending on where you are in the world, probably some shouting at the screen, just came to mind - a scene that's likely to happen if they went with the slightly more R-rated, NSFW version of the previous poster.

I guess the distributors needed to make a new poster that was tamer so as not to offend. But honestly, if you're offended by the original poster, the movie's not for you. I loved Von Trier's Mandalay and Dogville -- two films that will definitely make it to my Top 100 but from what I've read, Antichrist is nothing like the two.

Antichrist is about a grieving couple who retreats to their cabin in the woods, hoping to repair their troubled marriage but nature takes its course and things go from bad to worse - throwing in some mental issues, possible hallucinations and gulp, genital mutilation/abuse.

I'm still undecided about whether or not I want to watch Antichrist, because no way in hell is the movie coming to this part of the world, so I would have to proactively resort to other means. I have a weak stomach and don't like unnecessary violence. At this point, I'm leaning towards a no -- I doubt it'll be a huge loss for me personally to give Antichrist a miss, just as I did Irreversible because of the violent rape scene. Or, I might watch it but resort to closing my eyes if I can't stand certain scenes.

Check out the Antichrist trailer and let me know if you'll watch Antichrist? Why?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home