Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Documentary: Waking Sleeping Beauty


The thing with film festivals is that if you're really, really lucky, you'll end up seeing one film that you'll absolutely love and can't wait to tell all your friends about it. And that's what most film bloggers (the professional ones, not moi) do - with Rotterdam and Sundance over, film bloggers have been picking their favorites , or in "industry terms" - "the next Little Miss Sunshine." I love reading about new films but I tend to stay away from the slew of new film picks and as much I love indie, sometimes, it just gets waaaaay too indie and becomes annoying. But one of the documentaries stood out for me - Waking Sleeping Beauty.

The documentary is a behind-the-scenes look at what went on at Disney Animation when cartoons (yes, in my world - they're called cartoons, not "animations") such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King came out. I realized that the older I get, the more I'm drawn to documentaries and there's just something really appealing about removing the veil and the magic of the cartoons that I grew up with - when what you see on screen actually looked like someone put pencil to paper and drew it, by hand! I have a huge problem with animations like Up because it's missing the human touch, everything seems too clean and digitized.

Anyhoo - the lucky folks in my lovely home of San Francisco will get to see it on March 26, 2010. For me and the rest of Singapore - let's keep our fingers crossed. Check out the official synopsis at /Film.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home