Monday, August 22, 2005

What's happened to Darren Hayes?



I just saw Darren Hayes' (one half of Savage Garden) new video from his latest album, "The Tension and The Spark" and I'm in DISBELIEF. I can only describe the new video for the single, "Popular" in one word -- sellout. Honestly, the video reminded me of Gay Pimp's "Soccer Practice" -- which was fun and all coz it was meant to be cheesy, tacky and funny but Darren's new video is just downright disappointing!

I'm at the verge of tears hearing the same guy who sang such beautiful and meaningful songs like "Affirmation" and "Two Beds and A Coffee Machine" sing lyrics like this:

I've got a plan to make it rich and famous...
I'm willing to sleep my way to the top
I wanna be POPular
I don't wanna keep my feet on the ground
I must confessed I've been a very bad boy
I've been sleeping around
My friends are all in limousines, my friends are all celebrities, in magazines

What in the world happened? I can only hope that the video -- complete with two tit-ful blondes in gold bikinis that are 2 sizes too small -- is a parody of pop music. And how cheesy is the video? It's like a tourist video in London! Complete with scenes shot in the Underground, on a double decker bus and at Madame Tussauds! If you don't believe me, check out "Popular" at Darren Hayes' Office Web site.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger YU JIAN said...

Err ... I think it has to be a parody, Aud. I don't think Darren Hayes ... even at his lowest of financial lows ... would resort to such a video ... and MEAN it literally. This is even way below Peter Andre and S Club 7.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Audrey Tang said...

Jian, I thought you liked S Club 7....yeah, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that it's a parody, coz it's waaaay too obvious. And the other songs on the same album sound more like his previous album, Spin. You're the one in UK, you must hear more rumors about Darren than me! So keep your ears open!

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home