Saturday, February 13, 2010

Art, a thing of beauty


I'm the last person to claim to know much about art of design, especially considering I can't draw to save my life. But I've always liked pretty things and I pride myself for having an eye for quirky and beautiful pieces. In the traditional sense of art though, I've always been drawn to installations, actual 3D pieces of work instead of something on canvas (for the record, there are some illustrators that do gorgeous work and I had the lucky opportunity to work with them recently for ABSOLUT), and it's even stronger when the work makes a statement.

The reason I started this post was because I wanted to highlight Phillip Toledano, a socio-political artist whom I only recently found out about after seeing his work "America The Gift Shop" at Singapore's Fringe Festival. I wouldn't call his work "quiet" but it surprisingly makes the statement he wants to make without shouting at you - and in my opinion, that is the best way to send a message across.

Check out his portfolio here: http://www.mrtoledano.com/

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home