Thursday, June 16, 2005

Go watch Batman Begins

Okay, I'm taking back what I said about Batman Begins. I'll happily eat my words - munch munch, yummy. I hail Christopher Nolan, he totally rocks! In my opinion, with the exception of Sin City, Batman Begins is the best comic-book-turn-movie ever. Loved everyone in it - Christian Bale, Michael Keaton, Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson, Cillian Murphy and well, Morgan Freeman was playing his usual character and Katie Holmes was just too one dimensional. Cillian Murphy (of 28 Days Later) was a cool suprise, he didn't even appear in the trailer! That dude has such piercing eyes.

No corny lines - ugh, like Spiderman's "With great power comes great responsibility." Gag me. Nolan made me cry 10 minutes into the film. Loved that everything in the movie made sense and is possible. No Arnie in freezer suits. And no Boy Wonder...thank gawd. Batman Begins really made everything seem more believable, it now makes sense as why Bruce Wayne was so torn up over his parents death. Love the Dad character, wished my Dad was like that.

What I found really funny was that when Bale becomes Bruce Wayne, it feels like he's just replaying his role in American Psycho (which I thought was an excellent movie!).

You know a movie's good when at the end of the movie, the cinema applauds and cheers out loud. Go watch it, I was pleasantly suprised. Dark. I'm glad Nolan took up this movie, it's refreshing to not have to deal with another bad comic book movie. Now all I need to do is get my hands on The Following.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Captain Karat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Captain Karat said...

Hey Audrey MTV,

You sent me a on wild goose chase when you said that Michael Keaton was in Batman Begins... it's Michael Caine lah ngok!

Anyway, Batman Begins is brilliant. Absofuckinglutely.

Incidentally, I disagree with you about that Spiderman line being corny... the world of superheroes requires us to suspend our beliefs for a few moments in order to truly enjoy them. We also need to understand the overwhelming ideals and guidelines that steer the protagonists into such heroic feats. These are not normal folk and hence must follow certain codes.

In order for us to see the machinations of their mind, we must sometime deal with lines such as "with great power comes..."

It's corny when left all by its lonesome, but when in the context of the movie, no way. It's so immeasurably pertinent.

love ya,

koobz

8:51 PM  
Blogger Audrey Tang said...

Did I put Michael Keaton? Oops...must have been writing that blog with post-lunch drowsiness.

I've never been a big comic hero fan, and I don't think Archie counts. So I guess my comment on the chessy Spiderman line comes from a non-comic book reader, so that's that. But I absolutely loved Batman Begins -- not so much as a comic-book-turned movie but as a movie.

I saw Batman Forever yesterday, man...it's tough watching that after I just saw Batman Begins two nights before. Sigh. Damn campy, but I guess it was just going the way of Dick Tracy.

You actually find the time to read my blog with your crazy schedule? Wow. I'm surprised. Good to know though. Hugs.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Captain Karat said...

Dick Tracy wasn't campy! It was brilliantly art directed! It looked like the comics themselves. Batman Forever and Batman and Robin though... bloody shit, those were fucking terrible. Nothing redeeming about those movies at all. They were just plain campy.

As a dear friend of mine would say "Bunch of flamin' homosexuals!!"

11:46 PM  
Blogger Audrey Tang said...

But I like campy. Good campy like Rocky Horror Picture Show and The Velvet Goldmine are absolutely my kinda movies. I soooo wanna go for an audience-participation stage performance of Rocky Horror.

It's just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right, with your hands on your hips, you bring your knees in tight, but it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane....Let's do the Time Warp again!

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home