Thursday, June 25, 2009

Take me to the movies!


THE BROTHERS BLOOM
Finally! 3 weeks after The Brothers Bloom opened in Malaysia, it's finally here in Singapore! Yay! If I had to describe The Brothers Blooms in 4 words: eccentric, quirky, witty and explosive (in a non-Michael Bay kind of way)! Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo are con artists and brothers who are trying to con Penelope Stamp, a lonely heiress played by Rachel Weisz. In the trailer, Weisz has one of the best lines I've heard ever. When Brody asked what she does for a living, her response, "I collect hobbies." Woohoo.

So, together with Bang Bang, an explosives expert played Rinko Kikuchi from Babel and The Belgian, both Brody and Ruffalo carry out the con. But here's the kicker (slightly predictable), both brothers start to fall for Weisz' charm and thing start to fall apart, so the question is, are they being conned instead by Weisz's character? By the way, can someone please tell me what's the role of The Belgian? Like is it code for something?

Check out The Brothers Bloom trailer.

Aud Approved: It's a smart movie, so avoid at all costs if you don't have half a brain and typically ask a lot of questions during "complicated" movies (idiots!). Otherwise, definitely a must-watch! And, it's directed by Rian Johnson, who also did the high school noir Brick which I absolutely loved! Only tricky part for Singaporeans is that it's only screening at GV Cinema Europa, so you'll have to hike over to Vivocity to catch it, and trust me, it's worth it.


TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN
Regardless of what the critics are saying, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is worth watching. It's what a summer movie should be - a loud, entertaining, exciting roller-coaster ride of a movie for a big rowdy bunch of friends, with a storyline for those who didn't like the first Transformer movie and more (a lot more!) robots for those who didn't get enough of Autobots and Decepticons the first time round.

I saw Transformers: ROTF earlier this week and my first reaction was - "too much storyline, not enough cool robot transforming sounds." I appreciate the background story and how Michael Bay tried to build on the plot from the first movie but it got to point as I was watching the movie that I just didn't care about the storyline anyway, all I wanted was more robots! That said, I would definitely watch it again - wonder if anyone has an unwanted invite to a free screening lying around? Hmm. And what I would give to watch it in IMAX! Wooohooo.

My gripes - disclaimer is that I'm a girl and I honestly don't see a single hot bone in Megan Fox - there were countless unnecessary scenes of Megan Fox in tight shorts, tight pants and tighter tops. I would like to give her the benefit of the doubt that she's a better actor than what's on screen for Transformers: ROTF but throughout the entire movie, I felt that Megan Fox was doing her best impression of Paris Hilton, I was waiting for her to turn around and say, "That's hot." For those who are interested, the official Transformers web site has some cool wallpaper for your desktop, and guess what? The ones with Megan Fox conveniently have her running with her body arched toward the screen, i.e. best position for boobage. I can see the millions of boys out there wishing that the wallpapers are GIF files.

This paragraph contains spoilers, so skip it if you haven't seen the movie. I'm a total geek - I cried when Optimus Prime died, and I was on the edge of seat half the time hoping that Bumblebee doesn't die - so yes, I'm soppy that way.

Honestly though, I think Michael Bay did a decent job, and it probably helped to have Steven Spielberg as an executive producer. And this coming from someone who fell asleep watching Bad Boys and thought Pearl Harbor was utter rubbish, is saying a lot.

Aud Approved: If you have qualms about whether or not you want to watch Transformers: ROTF, don't be a cheapskate and go watch it at the cinemas because the giant screen with the surround sound is the ONLY way to enjoy it. And honestly, who doesn't like super cool transforming robots? And yes, that includes Megan Fox. *sticks tongue out*

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home